Sunday, October 12, 2008

October 12th Topics

NaNo Topic:
The Big Conflict:There's a school of thought in the literary world that conflict is the only plot line. It drives a storyline conveniently for the author. There's a reason why conflict happens (and someday I'm going to write my deconstructionist treatise on this very notion) and you as the writer need to understand the one big problem making your protagonist's life cumbersome. You love your protagonist, you even love your antagonist (if you have one), you hate to see troubles come their way, but go ahead and send it in. What's the big problem in your novel and how will they ever set things right?


Going Too Far
Unable to fly, the tiny dragon angrily admitted the best solution would be to walk all the way to ...


Silent Fight
You're seething inside. Describe your internal diaglogue.

1 comment:

WolfieWolfgang (Colin Bell) said...

Going Too Far by Wolfgang Glnka

"Sorry is that your seat? I didn't realize."

"No problem."

"I'll sit here then. No one taken this seat I guess?"

"No that is fine."

Pause. Quite a long one.

"Sorry."

"No problem."

"Just stretching my legs."

"Fine. I was taking up too much space any way."

Pause. Not as long as before.

"Do you......"

"Do you....."

"Haha..sorry. After you."

"Do you use this train a lot?"

"Once a week. I have a meeting in Chicago I have to
go to."

"uh-huh."

"What about you?"

"Every day!"

"Wow!"

"Yup. I work in Chicago. A regular commuter I guess."

Yea!"

Pause. Quite a short one.

"I go to these meetings 'cos I really want to go to the Blues clubs."

"You are a fan?"

"Oh yes. A play a little Blues guitar myself. What about you? Are you interested in music?"

" I love it. I play guitar too."

"Well fancy!"

Pause. A long one.

"I am going to a Blues club tonight. Would you like to come along?"

"Well, I guess I would. That's a fine idea."

Pause. Quite short.

"Let me give you my mobile number. Then we can arrange where to meet."

"Well OK, I'll give you mine then."

Pause whlst they click their mobiles and exchange numbers.

"Nearly there now."

"Yes."

Pause. A long one.

"For God's sake," he whispered. "Not that."

"But I thought...."


Wolfgang Glinka